A romantic sci-fi time travel sitcom, you say?
For this episode, we travel back to 1993 and the British comedy series Goodnight Sweetheart, centred around Gary Sparrow, a TV repairman who finds himself able to travel between 1990s and 1940s London via a magical alleyway.
From Gary's questionable morals to Nicholas Lyndhurst's surprisingly great singing voice, we tackle one of British comedy's strangest premises, yet an underrated show that deserves a second look.
We also discuss:
- The show's complicated time travel rules - is it more Lost or Terminator?
- Birds of a Feather's strangely sullen intro
- Is bigamy OK if it's in two different eras? Gary would say so
- Was Gary's wife in the '90s all that bad?
- How it might have been in the same cinematic universe as another British sitcom classic
- Did Gary solve one of the greatest serial killer mysteries of all time?
- Why Ballykissangel made us both very angry
- Could it return?
- Goodnight Sweetheart (BBC/Britbox)
- Birds of a Feather (BBC/ITV)
- Many Happy Returns (BBC)
Please leave us a review here!
We’re now also on TikTok!